Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wil Wheaton Effect

I have a confession to make. This confession may come as a shock. Everyone who reads this blog knows I am a Disney fan and book nerd, but few know that I am also a Trekkie. Next Generation Trekkie to be precise. (And while I am on the confession train, I am a Star Wars nerd and a Gleek!) Whew, those confessions felt good.

My Trek-dom began at an early age. I use to watch Star Trek, Next Gen. with my father, and we went to see all the movies together. I still go to the the movies with my dad and let my husband, also a Trekkie, go with a friend. Dad/ Daughter Dates are important! However, since I no longer live at home, my Star Trek watching partner is now my husband, and we have AT&T U-verse, with the BBC America, which loves to play Next Gen thanks to the British hunk Patrick Stewart.

Last week was a long...very long and stressful. Saturday night found me not baking, which I normally do for church, but instead on the couch with Trae watching Next Generation. I was feeling guilty about not baking, but my bum clad self was highly enjoying the couch. The episode we were watching was Wil Wheaton joke-heavy. Poor bloke; he got the short end of the stick a lot, and this episode was no different. Long story short...he literally got banana split all over his face. (I have no idea why space aged banana splits are blue)


Well, the Whil Wheaton effect happened around 9:30 pm. At 9:45 pm, I am melting vanilla ice cream in the kitchen. I was going to make a banana split trifle for church! Who knew that Whil Wheaton would inspire a dessert!

I divided the carton into three equal portions and flavored two of the portions (chocolate and strawberry). I then made the three flavors into ice cream bread (recipe at end of entry). While the bread cooled, I braved the monsoon-like rain, and went to get bananas and more strawberries. When I got home, I made homemade whip-cream and prepped the layers. The bread got cubed and then a trifle was assembled!

The bottom layer was chocolate bread topped with strawberry pie filing, banana, and whip-cream. The next layer was strawberry bread topped with pineapple, banana, and whip-cream. The final layer was vanilla bread topped with chocolate ganache, banana, and whip-cream. I topped the entire thing with cherries, because every banana split deserves a cherry on top!!



Overall, the dessert was good. When you got a bite of all the elements, the thing really tasted like a banana split, which was honestly, was a little weird to be eating bread, but feel like you are eating ice cream. Not overly sweet, but room for improvement is obvious. The chocolate bread needs tweaking, and the whole thing needed more whip-cream. Still, for a Star Trek inspired dessert, I would give it a thumbs up. Guess you just never know when and where or what will inspire a dessert! Therefore, Live Long and Bake!



Ice Cream Bread
  • 2 cups ice cream, any flavor
  • 1 1/2 cups of self rising flour

    Mix 2 cups of semi melted ice cream with 1 1/2 cups of self rising flour. Put the mixture into a greased loaf pan. It wouldn't hurt to flour the pan, but you do not have to. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Makes a great loaf of bread to eat plain or to transform into many delicious goodies, such as bread pudding! (Butter Pecan Ice Cream Bread Pudding is wonderful!) 

3 comments:

Jdaniels said...

What fun! I'm going to have to try that ice cream bread - now I'm very curious!

FYI - a blog you might like to follow is Epbot at http://www.epbot.com/

There's a lot of star wars, trekkie, steampunk, gadgets, and diy crafts on there. It's not even my blog and I'm encouraging it!

Fool in a Tree said...

I love Epbot! I follow that one and Cake Wrecks! They are so funny, and I love that she does a lot of geeky stuff!

Anonymous said...

I hope that this makes you feel better: I too am a NGSTrekkie... watched it every weekend with my dad growing up!

Niki